Monday, November 5, 2007

New Glasses-New Perspective

My glasses finally broke on Thursday evening. They were on their last legs, or should I say arms, for some time now. So, of course, all of the eye clinics that accept our insurance were not same day appointments. So I had to go to a walk-in and pay for appointment and glasses. But it turned out really good because this eye doctor told me something very interesting. This was after I was doing the "3-D" eye test which I failed because I could not see two boxes only one. He seemed very puzzled and almost acted like I was just not paying attention to his directions because I couldn't see it. So, a little later on I was explaining that I had eye surgery when I was nine because I had started wearing glasses at age 1 because I had a lazy eye, yada, yada, yada. So, and this is the interesting part- he says, "That explains why you couldn't see the boxes. Your eyes don't work together, so you can't see 3-D. This is typical when you've had a lazy eye. " (FYI, a lazy eye is when one of the eyes will turn inward or outward. I had muscles clipped in both eyes to correct this problem when I was 9- no, not a pleasant experience.) HELLO! Thank you for explaining a huge mystery in my life! I never could figure out why I couldn't see those images in those 3-D puzzle books that came out a few years ago. And it totally affects depth perception. I'm so reIieved to know this. I always just thought I was lousy at sports that you had to hit a ball with something like tennis or softball. But now I know that it's just my eyes! And dh cannot tease me anymore because I cannot catch the keys when he tosses them at me and I miss- every time! Man, I wish someone would have told me this sooner!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...