Sunday, November 6, 2011

Shake, Rattle and Roll!

Well, who says Oklahoma can't have an earthquake?

Or two?

We had two major earthquakes on Saturday. One happened around 2am which I totally slept through. About the only thing waking me up these days is Travis. Still.

David and Timothy were up watching a movie and they felt it. It was a 4. something.

Then, around 10:30 that evening I heard the windows rattle and thought, "That's a really strong wind!" But it didn't stop, it just kept getting louder and the floor and walls shook. It lasted about 30 seconds I think. I did feel one really small aftershock just a few minutes later.

Thankfully, no one was hurt and no damage was done that we can tell. It was the largest earthquake on record here and I believe they determined it was a 5.6.

That was the third major earthquake we've noticed since we've been in Tulsa. The first happened at this same time last year. It happened in the morning and I was still in bed, but had just woken up. The bed shook and I thought one of the kids had crawled into bed with me, but there was no one there. I thought that was really weird, so I got up and Brittany was in the living room. She was freaking out, "Did you feel that earthquake! It was an EARTHQUAKE!"

They are a little scary, but pretty neat. Praise God we didn't have a massive one and no one was killed, like in so many places lately. We were definately very fortunate!

5 comments:

Marsha said...

Glad to know you guys are okay!

Anonymous said...

That certainly sounds scary. Glad all of you are safe and your home is fine. Most people don't even have earthquake insurance. I did not realize that most of the time you have to request it separately.

Courtney said...

I didn't realize you had to have the insurance separately either, but wouldn't you know, our insurance agent sent an email out right away saying they weren't offering earthquake insurance til further notice!

Wendy said...

I think you should move back to a safer place like Cola :)

Courtney said...

LOL, I know! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...