Thursday, July 19, 2012
35 Week Pregnancy Update
Well, I am 35 weeks today. That means I probably have 6 or 7 weeks left til the baby comes, but if the baby came early I wouldn't complain. I'm just hoping that the baby decides to come on its own at some point so that I won't need to be induced this time.
I found out just a few weeks ago that the doctor I had been seeing, and had also delivered Travis, wasn't going to be able to deliver me this time. He delivers at two hospitals, one already doesn't do vbacs and the other just decided they aren't going to either. So, what's a mother like me to do? I've had EIGHT vbacs already! I could've stayed with him and had a c-section again (absurd) or switch doctors.
So, I switched doctors. To the very LAST doctor in the area who delivers vbac. I had an appointment with him on Tuesday. He seems to be okay, but I really liked my other doctor. I'm not sure why God would have me switch. I'm not really happy about it, but thankful that I have someone to deliver me.
Now, I did have other options. I could plan a homebirth. But, David is not comfortable with that, and the fact that I've had a c-section before puts me at a small risk for uterine rupture. The risk is small, and the fact that I've had eight vbacs would indicate that my risk is really miniscule, but I would rather just not take a risk at all. If my uterus did rupture, I would prefer to already be at the hospital where the fastest care would be ready and available.
Or, I could go into labor, and just show up at the hospital and refuse a c-section. But, my babies are stubborn and 3 out of the last 4 needed to be induced. I felt like if I waited it out like that, then the stress of wondering whether or not I would go into labor would not be good. I know there are some more natural induction methods, some of which I have tried before, and some are not safe with a previous c-section. Again, the uterine rupture thing.
I have always delivered in a hospital. This will be the 7th time with a doctor, and three were with midwives. This doctor seemed okay, and actually spent probably at least half an hour talking with David and me. I can't say for sure he's a Christian, but definately was pro-large family. Maybe I had just a little sour attitude at the fact I had to have another exam, because I was a new patient there and my records hadn't arrived from the other doctor's office. I hate exams. Of any kind. Personal space, you know?
But, the baby is doing fine, which is the most important thing anyway. I have been walking on the treadmill 4 or 5 miles a week, and some weights and squats afterward. I feel healthier, but I am still putting on the pounds. I've gained almost 50 gasp pounds. I am planning to watch my sugar intake for this last few weeks, and see if it really makes a difference with the baby's weight. I would prefer NOT to have another ten pound baby. So, I'm trying to keep it at 20 grams of sugar a day. Well, I was at 15 with breakfast this morning! That's with 2 scrambled eggs, 2 whole grain waffles with a little butter and a small glass of milk! No syrup even! It was the milk. Do I have to give up milk?
Well, I guess I could for 6 or 7 weeks. So, really I can have protein, vegetables, no fruit, no milk, no yogurt, and whole grains. That's about it.
This is going to be rough.
In other news, we had VBS last week, a stomach virus this week and over 100 degree temps for a while. Fall, where are you??
Here is my 35 week belly.............