Friday, June 17, 2011

God's Heart for Mothers Part 1

I had the priviledge of teaching God's word to over 30 women last week at our church. I'm posting the notes on here in four parts if anyone would like them.

In this day of throw away babies, abortions by the millions, children being raised by the culture, pets are given the equivalence of children, and often times a higher importance than children, mothers have lost their sense of responsibility and how important they really are in society.

God uses so many analogies to babies, children and mothers because they are near and dear to His heart.

Psalm 8: 2 “From the mouth of infants and nursing babes Thou hast established strength

Psalm 22:10 “Upon Thee I was cast from birth; Thou has been my God from my mother’s womb”

Psalm 131:2 “Surely I have composed and quieted my soul; Like a weaned child rests against his mother, My soul is like a weaned child within me.”

Isaiah 49:15 “Can a woman forget her nursing child, and have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, but I will not forget you"

It wasn’t until the last hundred years or so that having many children wasn’t the norm. With the rise of feminism, and women like Margaret Sanger (who started the first birth control clinic in the early 1900s), that viewing children as a hindrance and a burden and preventing them became the norm.

I could tell you that I had always dreamed of having children and having a large family, but that wouldn’t be true. When I was younger I never wanted to have children. At all. Because that’s the way I viewed children. Then I was not a Christian and I didn’t know what God’s design for women was.

1. Mothering is ……God’s design


Praise God, His design is so much better than anything I could have designed for myself.
Let’s take a look at the world’s very first mother Eve and God’s very first commission.

Gen. 1:28
“And God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

God blessed them (that they would have children). These were the first recorded words spoken by God to Adam and Eve.

“Be fruitful” (the Hebrew word parah) means to bear fruit, to bring forth, to increase

“To Multiply” (the Hebrew word rabah) means: to increase exceedingly, to be many, to be abundant

So when God said to be fruitful and multiply, he wanted them to increase exceedingly.

God also made Eve mother of all the living

Gen. 3:20
“Now the man called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all the living.”

God didn’t give the responsibility of bearing children to men, He gave it to women. All women would be givers of life. Even after they sinned, (because Gen. 3:20 is after the fall) God did not take away his blessing, woman would still bring forth life in this world that was now dead with sin.

God says Women will be preserved by being mothers
1 Tim. 2:15
“But women shall be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.”

Faithful women who obey God’s design for mothering will be preserved from deception and from the corruption of society and will find her greatest satisfaction in fulfilling God’s design. Note this: disobedience leads to deception, but obedience leads to blessing.

Eve’s disobedience caused sin to enter the world BUT also through a woman came the Savior of the world who was and is “The Life” itself.

John 14:6 “I am the way and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me.”

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...