Thursday, June 23, 2011

God's Heart for Mothers Part 4

4. Mothering is.….at the heart of God.

Every tear you shed over your children, every sticky face you wash, every diaper you change, every load of laundry you do is worth it to Him. Mothering is service to God You are emulating, Jesus the one who came here to serve.

Colossians 3: 17
“And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.”

When my husband was in the Marine Corps, my friend had a neighbor with 2 small children around the ages of 5 and 2. She had decided to go to nursing school. She said something that really struck me. “I’m just ready for the kids to grow up and go to school so I can get on with my life.”

We are not perfect, even as mothers, but Jesus forgives all sins and restores us. If you’ve made mistakes with your children, it is never too late to humble yourself before God. Ask forgiveness for your sin and start fresh with a heart for God. Ask your children to forgive you. All you need to raise your children is a heart sold out for God.

You have to put God first or every area of your life will suffer, especially mothering. I know sometimes that’s hard. I know what it’s like to have small children and be busy. When my children were 7, 5, 2, 7 months and I was 4 months pregnant, my husband got deployed with the National Guard for a year. I can’t count how many times someone has said to me, “You must be so patient” or “I could never have that many kids, I just don’t have the patience.” God doesn’t require patience, he just requires faith.

When you pour your all into God he can pour Himself out through you into the lives of your children.

If you spend time with God and in His Word, those fruits, patience, kindness, gentleness will come.

In the morning or even at night read a passage , it doesn’t have to be long, and you can pray and meditate on it while cooking, folding laundry or driving. I’m really just speaking to mothers with very small children here, because children are so needy then, and it’s hard to find time. If you don’t have small children and it’s hard to find time to spend in God’s word then you really need to reevaluate your priorities.

Jesus meets people where they are: He met the woman at the well right there when she was doing her chores. He gave her the Living Water. You can meet with Jesus when you are washing dishes, folding laundry, changing diapers, or driving. Even when you are reading and teaching scripture to your children, especially then.

Commit scripture to memory and you can pray and meditate on that scripture anytime. You can memorize verses for every letter of the alphabet . Sing Christian music and hymns with your children and you have a chance to worship together. So those are just various simple ways to find time for God.

I really enjoy my children. Now I am so humbled and grateful that in spite of myself God chose to bless me in this way. I like what Luke writes in his gospel about when the angel tells Zacharias that Elizabeth will have a child (we know that child as John the Baptist). He says, “And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth.”

My children truly are a blessing to me. I think of that young mom who just wanted “to get on with her life” and what joy and gladness she missed out on with her children.

Our children really can be a blessing to us.

Prov. 31:28
“Her children rise up and bless her.”

Her children should rise up and call her blessed.

I like what the Matthew Henry commentary says about this verse.

“If her children are dutiful and respectful to her they then give her the reward she has earned she reaps the benefit of all the care she has taken of them. Her own works will bring her praise.”

My children are always making me laugh. And I tell them over and over, “I’m not laughing at you, but I appreciate you making me laugh.” So, I have to share with you some things Thomas, my 4 year old asked me the other night. He didn’t want to go to bed, so I told him to lie down beside me while I was nursing Travis, so he laid down and about 30 seconds later he rolled over and said…….

If my eyeballs just pop out will I be able to see?
If we eat ants would that be disgusting? Would we have ant breath?
Is Tony Ironman’s suit real?
When I turn 16 do I have to get married?
If 5 little ducks went outside and over the hill without asking would their mom and dad have to go find them?

I just want to encourage you to seek the Lord’s will for your life. I also want to encourage you to see your own children as blessings. Don’t just wait for your children to grow up so you can “get on with your life”. And, don’t be like the man Christian mentioned on Sunday night that got to heaven only to see a room full of gifts that God would have given to him, only he didn’t allow himself to receive them.

I want to leave you with this verse.

Psalm 1: 1-3
“How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers,
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
And in His law he meditates day and night
And he will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water
Which yields fruit in its season,
And its leaf does not wither,
And in whatever he does he prospers.

Psalm 1:1-3 (Practical Application)
“Oh the joys of the mother who does not follow Cosmopolitan and Glamour
Or stands in the path of daytime TV
Nor sits in the seat of feminists
But her delight is in the laws of the Lord
And she thinks about Him day and night
And she will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water
Which yields fruit in its season
Her leaves will not wither
And in her mothering she will prosper.”

Made in His image
Obedient to God
Teacher
Helper Suitable
Every woman
Ruler over creation

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Thank you so much for posting your notes! What an encouragement you are to us all! Rachel

Courtney said...

Thanks Rachel! I was so glad to be able to share God's word.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...