Saturday, August 27, 2011

Book Signing with Author Kathryn Lasky

Last night we went to a book signing at the Tulsa County/City Library with author, Kathryn Lasky. She was being presented with the Anne V. Zarrow award.




This is NOT Kathry Lasky. This is a librarian holding an owl. Kathry Lasky is the author of the Guardians of Ga'hoole book series.










Awaiting Mrs. Lasky......I swapped a few kids with my sister in law. I took my nephew Devin and she kept the four youngest kids for me.



We had to wait in line for about an hour for the book signing. They had these really cute and tasty owl shortbread cookies and punch. We all wolfed them down before I got pictures.





The girls with their new iphones. (Shh! Don't tell the girls but they are really just cardboard cutouts of a library app advertisement.)




My kids aren't really into the Ga'hoole books, but one of Brittany's favorite books is one she wrote from the Royal Diaries Collection, Elizabeth I.







So, she had her sign that copy. Bethany and Brooke had her sign another of the Royal Diary Books and Devin had a Ga' hoole book to have signed.







I turned the flash off when I went to take the girls' picture and could NOT get it focused. And, we had to move on. Oh well.




Now, of course, I can't do anything without some sort of fiasco. The signing was at the library downtown. I hadn't been to the library downtown and, you know, parking is always somewhat difficult DOWNTOWN. (I have the sudden urge to break out into a chorus with Rick Moranis while a giant, man eating plant looms nearby.)



I couldn't find the parking area for the library, so we drove around for about fifteen minutes looking for it. I was following the signs, but, I couldn't find it because it was hidden down a one way street and I guess I just didn't go that way.



So, I went and parked at OSU Medical Center where I knew I could park, and not get towed. But, the only problem is that it is FOUR blocks away from the library.


We started walking and the street divided and I got turned around and called David saying, "And remind me why I though this was a good idea?"



And he said, "You KNOW that is not really a good part of town."



I said, "Hold on, I'll call you back." I saw the Double Tree Hotel (which is very nice indeed) and the lady said that we were half way there.


We huffed and puffed on the two more blocks (remember it has been the summer of Hades here in Tulsa) so I'm sure it was at least a hundred degrees, and we made it to the library. But, we needed to go around the building and downstairs to get in, which we did, and lo and behold, the correct entrance was right next to the parking area that we had been looking for.



Knowing that it probably wasn't going to be a good idea to walk all the kids back over to the van at 9:30 at night though DOWNTOWN, I called David again to see if he would just come and pick me up and drive me back to my van, then I could drive back over and park in the right area.


And, I had a blister.


So, my knight in a shiny white van came and saved me.



The end.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...