Thursday, May 31, 2012

Rooty, Tooty, Fresh and Fruity


Tuesday I had to go in for my one hour glucose test. I had to take Bailey and Travis with me since David had taken the seven oldest to the lake. They stayed for two days and some of the kids caught their first fish! But....I missed it because I had decided to stay home with the little guys instead of running my pregnant self ragged trying to keep up with them at the lake in 95 degree weather.

Anyway, needless to say, I didn't pass. Well, I was actually borderline at 132 since my doctor goes by the 130 scale instead of the 140 scale. So, when I came in at 132 the nurse practitioner said that since I was borderline she would let me make the call to come in for the three hour test.

I was like, "Oh, please don't leave it up to me? How can I make that decision?" On the one hand, I don't want to take unnecessary risks with my unborn baby, and I know there are some sugar issues going on because 1) I DIDN'T pass the test and 2) there is serious emotional BREAKDOWN when I don't eat.

I decide to go on and take the three hour test. Which I did this morning.

I had something to eat at nine last night and had to fast until I got to the lab at 8:45. So by the time I drank the sugar coma in a cup it was nine.

Finally, after four blood draws, three in one arm and one in the other, looking like I have illegal recreational activities, and being forced to put up with The View on the lab TV, noon finally came so I could leave.

David came with me and right before I was done he got a phone call that he needed to run into work. I told him that he was taking me to IHOP, because, well, FOOD. And I had a Groupon.

The Groupon I got for free because last year I had bought four tickets to a childrens museum that ended up closing before we could use the tickets. So Groupon had refunded me the money which I used to snatch up the IHOP coupon, so it didn't cost me any more money. Score!

I'm adding this in, because why not include all the mundane minutia of this experience?

I went in with him to work because I had to sign something, but after about fifteen minutes there, I was starting to sweat and my hands were getting shaky.

I thought I was going to swoon and faint like Scarlet O'hara, except that I wasn't wearing a hoop skirt and frankly, my husband does give a .....

Well, anyway, we got out of there and headed to IHOP but it was 1:30 by the time my food actually arrived. So, after 16 hours with no food, I was about ready to eat the napkin.

Instead, I had four whole wheat pancakes with banana, two scrambled eggs, three sausages, three bacons and hash browns.

It was about the best food I've ever eaten.

And, praise God, the test results already came in and I passed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you passed I get to go for the test here this month. I've never had a problem but I am a bit older this time around so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Courtney said...

Thank you! I am so glad, too. I did NOT want to have to deal with poking my fingers all day!

Dawn@OneFaithfulMom said...

I had gest diabetes with 5 of my ten. With my last one, when I went to the midwife after the 3 hr test, she said I actually had the opposite problem...my sugar was dropping too quickly. She also told me that when they checked me the last time, my sugar was 47. She could not believe they let me leave the hospital and drive myself away with a blood sugar that low!! Ha Ha!! I went straight to Mickey D's though, and it was winter and I had the windows down and was sweating like a stuck pig.
That's whatcha' get with a rural hospital.

Courtney said...

Oh, my goodness, Dawn- 47! Yikes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...