Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Going Batty!

This afternoon Timothy comes downstairs and tells me that the mouse is in the bathroom.

Two days ago..........

Tyler wakes up in the middle of the night and thinks he sees a mouse. Two of the other kids comfirm this. They've seen it in the upstairs bathroom. "Oh, please don't tell me that!" I'm thinking. Mice are so evasive. We haven't had a mouse in the house in four years.

Yesterday.........

Another confirmed mouse sighting. I decided I would go this week to get some traps at the store.

Today............

Timothy tells me that the mouse is in the bathroom. I said, "Is it in there right now?" He says yes, and I think that's odd because mice tend to scurry away when detected. "I better go investigate this", I say. So, I went upstairs and Timothy shows me that the mouse is on the wall vent. Hmmm. How would a mouse get on the outside of that wall vent and stay there so still and not moving? I walk over to the mouse thinking that it must somehow be dead and rigormortised to the vent. After closer examination I realize that indeed it is not a dead mouse, but a bat! I was a little freaked out because we've never had a bat in the house. I wasn't sure how to get it out and I didn't want to risk getting bitten. And,the kids sure weren't volunteering!
Brooke let me know that she'd seen it last night and it flew by her head. I knew she'd come and told me about seeing a mouse, but she never mentioned that it flew. So, I asked her why she hadn't mentioned that little bit of information last night and she says, "Well, I thought mice flew sometimes." No, sweetie, not usually............

I didn't know how it would react. Would it go bonkers like a caught squirrel? Would it lash at me with it's vampire fangs? I put on a pair of winter gloves and a pair of latex cleaning gloves over those. Then I walked over and very carefully picked it up off the vent and walked outside. The little thing just sat trembling on my hand. It was so incredibly cute! We talked to it and stroked it and tried to feed it banana for about 15 minutes. Then, it decided to stop socializing and spread it's wings and flew off. The kids wished we could have kept it as a pet. Tristan suggested we could have made a cage for it. I agreed that if a bat ever gets stuck in our upstairs bathroom again, that we would make a cage and keep it for a while.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...