Monday, June 8, 2009

Thrifty Finds!




I love, love, love yard sales and thrift stores and have for many years now, so when I saw this blog carnival on Rhoda's blog, I thought I would pee my pants casually put up a link to her post about what we've found.


We haven't been able to get out to the yard sales, but we went to GW (that's Goodwill for those in the know) and even though it's gotten a bit pricey (maybe the recession has hit them, too?) we were still able to find some deals. (I have found that the best time to go is on Monday after everyone has hauled all there stuff from cleaning out over the weekend-lol!) And, when I say "we", I mean my 13 year and me. She is a thrifty gal like her mama. I'm very proud.


Dinner trays for $2.50 with the $14.99 Linens N Things stickers right on them. I love these beachy colors.





An unopened mega pack of Huggies diapers for Bailey for $6!


Some homeschool books..... $5 (GW just raised their book prices)



Brittany got these cute little tea candle holders for 50 cents each. (She is into collecting things for her future home.)



An Old Navy totebag for $2.





Her splurge was this Italian blown glass for $5 each.




I found this adorable crib bedding set (well, actually Brittany found it) back in March at Tot Trade, the seasonal kid's consignment event here in town. I went on the 60% off day and it was only $16! It came with the quilt, bumper, skirt, and 3 sheets.



It has my favorite color (purple) and green gingham with purple and pink flowers, and it was in practically new condition.


Although, it wasn't quite as good as the deal I got at the Toys R Us going-out-of business sale when I got Thomas's bedding set for $10 two years ago! It was a John Lennon set-new- with this adorable pattern. It came with the bumper, skirt, quilt and sheet.


The crib is a story, too. I decided when I was pregnant with number 7 that I finally wanted a pretty crib. We'd had 2 hand me downs (white metal) and this time I just wanted a pretty one. I saw this one at a consignment for $75, which was a little more than I wanted to spend. But, my wonderful husband said, "If you really want it, just get it." So, the guy said to come back in about an hour and he'd take it apart and load it up for me. When I came back he said he'd noticed one of the wheels on the pull out drawer (it has a pull out drawer underneath, but I don't have it under there in these pics) was cracked and he'd either give me a refund or take $25 off the price. I told him I definately wanted it- so my whole pretty crib plus the cute bedding set for Thomas was only $60!
And that same month I found this lights and sounds at a yard sale and the lady just gave it to me for free. I tried to pay her, but they were loading up to take the leftovers to GW and said she'd rather it just go to someone that she knew really wanted it!

It's so much fun to find those good deals!

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

What great deals, Courtney! Thanks for sharing thme! And thanks for mentioning about doing GW on Mondays! Never would have thought of that!! We're trying to be more thrifty these days too, so I'm just learning all the tricks!!

Mrs. Darling said...

Those beachy colors of the plates are all the rage with Pampered Chef this year.

I love garage sales too but I never have time anymore! :(

joyh82 said...

you got some awesome deals. Love the baby bedding. Looks very cute.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Courtney, you got quite the haul! I'm so glad you joined my party (ha-ha at your opening statement!) and shared all your goodies. Love those beachy trays.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...